Imagine finding the perfect home, only to discover there is serious interest from at least a dozen other buyers. It’s like scrambling for the last piece of cake at a buffet!
Fortunately, there are things you can do to help get the home you want, even in a highly competitive market. Here are just a few ideas:
- Only view a few ideal properties at a time. If you see too many, and thus spread yourself too thin, you risk homes slipping through your fingers.
- Be realistic about price. Focus on finding a great home that you can afford, rather than trying to find a bargain.
- Consider homes that need some work. They get less interest than perfectly staged properties, yet can turn out to be a dream home.
- Be prepared to make an offer with as few conditions as possible. An offer conditional on passing inspection is usually fine, but in a competitive situation, offers with other conditions will likely be turned down flat.
- Make your decisions quickly. If there are likely to be other interested buyers, you want to get your offer in early.
- Make the right offer. To win the deal, you want your offer to be as enticing as possible to the seller — especially when it comes to price.